When I found out that there would be a Betty-centric Riverdale episode titled ‘When a Stranger Calls’, I freaked out because a) I am a Betty stan through and through and b) When a Stranger Calls is one of the greatest horror movies of all times. This episode was a rollercoaster of emotions. I laughed, I cried, I cringed, I yelled at the TV – my four standard Riverdale reactions now that I think about. Keep reading for the best bits of Chapter 18 – When a Stranger Calls.
If you missed the recap last week you can find it here Chapter 17: The Town That Dreaded Sundown
There was no competition in this episode. Everyone bow down to the greatness that is Alice Cooper and her scene-stealing outfit. I actually burst out laughing when she walked out because it was so over-the-top and so totally and completely Alice. When she told Hal to “shove it”, I may have snorted. This guy knows what’s good:
TALKY TALK: FAVOURITE QUOTES
- “Archiekins, don’t be Jelly”
- “Like Romeo and Juliet but we live happily ever after instead”. This is what I want most in the world right now. Riverdale writers don’t let me down!
- “Archie, don’t take this the wrong way but you are an epic buzzkill”. LOL
- “It’s all just recycled banter and plunging necklines and throwing shade to distract us all from the fact that there is really nothing going on underneath. “ Way harsh, but I thought it was a good line.
- “We can walk it back later”. WE BETTER BE WALKING THIS ALL THE FREAKING WAY BACK TO SEASON 1 BUGHEAD.
OMNOMNOM: FOODIE MOMENTS
Unfortunately, there was not a lot of omnomnoming going on this episode. Some dull looking canapes at the SoDale party and this 1-second grab of identified Serpent food that caught my eye. Onion rings? Tim Hortons? We may never know.
I will add that the picture of Pop with a plate of hamburgers at the Diner was absolutely adorable. I’m so glad we are seeing more Pop Tate this season. He is a gem!
SHIP OF THE WEEK
Bughead only had one scene together but what a scene it was. It was absolutely heartbreaking to watch and I think we all knew how it was going to end (even if we kept telling ourselves that nothing could break these two apart because they are totally endgame). So thanks for a little bit of (bitter)sweetness before stabbing us in the heart, twisting the knife, ripping out our hearts and stomping on them. Thanks soo much.
I will add that I did like seeing more of Archie and Betty’s friendship (please don’t hurt me, fellow Bughead shippers! Just hear me out). Archie and Betty have always been friends first, and that’s the way I would like it to stay. Despite high school drama and them each having their own relationships, it’s nice to see that their friendship is still solid and that Betty can rely on him to drop the dumbells for a second and help her. I know Jughead would help her in an instant too but he was a bit busy being bitten by rattlesnakes and screaming at people, so it was nice to see Archie step-up and help our number #1 girl.
INSIGNIFICANT BACKGROUND DETAILS
I don’t hang out at biker bars on the reg, so I’m not sure if it’s normal for money to be hanging from the ceiling.
- Is the Red Circle business really over? If it is, I’d be asking for a refund on that t-shirt right about now.
- Will you ever be able to listen to the Lollipop song the same way again?
- Can someone please explain to me what season it is currently?! Betty had a fan on in her room making me think it was warm, but then the Sinclairs waltz into the hotel wearing wool coats and furs. Continuity people! There was another fan at the school but Nick was wearing a chunky cream knit. I don’t get it – does he have poor circulation?
- Are there two black hoods? Keller said the letters weren’t a match, meaning that there is a copycat or two black hoods (possibly working together?) Do we believe him or is this just another example of shoddy detective work?
- I’m sorry, this might just be my Bughead shipper bias rearing it’s ugly head, but what makes Jughead think he can step up as a leader of the Serpents? There would be gang members who are much older and have much more influence than him in the ranks. As if a 16-year-old boy (who just joined!) is going to have any sway over the direction the gang takes. Bless his cotton socks for trying.
- How long do you think it will take Veronica to forgive Betty for her outburst? We know that grudges don’t last very long if previous experience is anything to go by (e.g. Kevin).
- Does anyone else want to see Josie and the Pussycats regularly kick-ass and take names?
- What were they thinking having the waiters dress up in hard hats and denim at the SoDale launch? It was so tacky! I thought Hermione and Hiram were classier than that.
- Were you surprised how quickly Archie went from “no drugs for me” to “give me all the jingle jangle please”?
- Did you notice that Hal’s had his hair done? Probably not. Life must be so tough for Hal living in the shadow of Alice Cooper.
- How angry were you when Toni called Jughead “Juggie”?
Image Source: Netflix
Drop a comment below and let us know what you thought of this episode!
Latest posts by Cactus Pop (see all)
- What We’re Looking Forward to in 2018 - January 10, 2018
- Riverdale Recap: Chapter 20, Tales from the Darkside - November 30, 2017
- Riverdale Recap: Chapter 19, Death Proof - November 17, 2017